674 Joost Avenue
Beautifully Remodeled Upper Sunnyside Two Bedroom, One Bathroom Home! Completed with High End Finishes and New Systems Throughout. Gleaming Hardwood Floors, Southern Facing Elegant Formal Living Room With Fireplace, Formal Dining Room with Recessed Lighting, Fully Equipped Chef's Kitchen with Abundant Custom Cabinetry and Convenient Side Entrance from Back Yard or Garage. Remodeled Bathroom in Period Style, Main Level Laundry Installed, Two Large Bedrooms Overlooking the lush, Landscaped Backyard. Wonderful French Doors Provide Second Access to yard, which is Perfect for Entertaining, Kids Play, and Gardening. Nice Sized Garage and Two Car Parking Complete Excellent Residence. Superb Location. Close to Whole Foods, Safeway, BART, Freeways.
Historical Background of 674 Joost
The Sunnyside neighborhood was platted, subdivided, and served by an electric railway as early as 1891. The mastermind behind the subdivision was Behrend Joost, for whom Joost Avenue is named. His real estate scheme was slow to develop, however; and didn't have much success until the 1906 earthquake pushed many San Franciscans out of the central areas of the city. Then, the neighborhood became a working-class enclave of modest cottages, emulating some of the more elite neighborhoods nearby.
The house at 674 Joost Avenue was built during a boom time in San Francisco. In the 1920s, swaths of the western neighborhoods were being developed with small tracts of multiple dwellings, often designed in the popular Mediterranean Revival style. This house was no exception. It was part of a grouping of ten houses built in 1925; a project undertaken by a real estate development firm known as The Key Company, who enlisted the services of architect Willis G. Lowe and builder J. Manning. Although he tended to design houses, Lowe was featured in the periodical Architect & Engineer in 1926 for his design of the Ray Office Building on Broadway in downtown Oakland (no longer standing).
In the early 1930s, the earliest known occupants of the house were Charles B. Wood, an engineer, and his wife Dorothy. Later owners and occupants included Lemings J. and Berth Miles in the late-1930s and 1940s. Miles was the president of his own company, Miles Radiator Service. In the 1950s and 60s, Mrs. Helen Grasel, a post office clerk, lived in the house.
The Mediterranean Revival style house exhibits many hallmarks of its style and urban environment. The organization of its facade is repeated not only in neighboring houses, but throughout the city. Houses of the period and style were often elevated above a garage level, with an entry stair to one side and a bay window or other large dramatic window looking out on the street. These facades were capped by decorative parapets that might be shaped, tabbed, or adorned with red clay tile.
In the case of 674 Joost Avenue, the basement level garage is accompanied by a tradesman's entrance; a discreet side door that allowed servants and workers to access utilities in the basement and the backyard. To the left, entry stairs flanked by brick cheek walls wrap the corner of the house, leading visitors to a porch that has a welcoming arched opening and is sheltered by a clay tile roof. The facade is enlivened by its textured stucco cladding, which is sometimes referred to as “jazz stucco,” because it seemed to depict the energetic spirit of the 1920s' Jazz Age. The generous triple-arched front windows give the facade additional personality and brighten the parlor behind them. Meanwhile, the unusual asymmetrical roofline, with its peaked clay tile tab on one side, pent roof on the other, and coped arch parapet in between, finishes out the house's playful presentation.